Philippine military says second joint patrol with US underway in South China Sea

Philippine military says second joint patrol with US begun in South China Sea

MANILA: The Philippines and the United States began a two-day joint patrol in the South China Sea on Wednesday (Jan 3), the Philippine military said in a statement.

Philippine armed forces chief Romeo Brawner said the second such joint military action marked a “significant leap” in Manila’s alliance with the US.

Tensions have been building in the South China Sea, where Philippines and China have traded blame over a spate of run-ins.

Last week, Beijing said it will not turn a blind eye to repeated “provocations and harassment” by the Philippines.

Chinese state media has also accused Manila of relying on US backing to continually antagonise China.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *