At least 13 killed as fierce winds hit Argentina

At least 13 killed as fierce winds hit Argentina

 An intense storm in Argentina has left at least 13 people dead and others injured in the southwestern port city of Bahía Blanca, according to Mayor Federico Susbielles and local officials.

Winds reached up to 140 kilometers (87 miles) per hour in the city on Saturday, and at least 300 people had been evacuated as of 3.30 a.m. local time (1 a.m. ET) Sunday, according to local officials.

The city council said on social media late Saturday that the situation caused by the storm was a “catastrophe,” reporting multiple injuries, some “extremely serious.”

The council added that the most serious scenario was at the sports club Bahiense del Norte, where medical emergency and civil defense workers were onsite.

In a statement made to X, formerly Twitter, on Sunday, mayor Susbielles announced three days of mourning, saying: “I want to reaffirm our solidarity with the families and loved ones of the 13 deceased people. Accordingly, we have declared sadness in the city for the next 72 hours.”

He warned citizens of the importance of keeping safe by staying home, adding: “We are still in an emergency situation, with electrical risk and risk of falling trees and structures.”

In an update made on X around midday local time, the city council said a Crisis Committee met to plan the their next steps.

The city’s emergency teams got 103,544 calls about downed trees, power lines and signs, among other damage, according to a statement on Sunday.

The office of Argentina’s President Javier Milei said Saturday that the national cabinet is working with provincial and local authorities to help the victims and respond to the damage.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *