Russian military says 13 Ukrainian rockets downed in southern Belgorod region

Dec 30 – Russia’s Defence Ministry said its anti-aircraft units had destroyed 13 Ukrainian rockets over the southern Belgorod region on Friday and the regional governor said one person had been killed and four hurt in the incidents.

A ministry statement said units in Belgorod region had foiled “an attempt by the Kyiv regime to carry out a terrorist attack”, with 13 rockets taken down.

Vyacheslav Gladkov, governor of the Belgorod region on the Ukrainian border, said a man had been killed when a house was hit.

Four people were being treated for injuries. Ten private homes suffered damage and the water supply in the city of Belgorod was disrupted, Gladkov said.

The Ukrainian armed forces shared video on Telegram of what they said was the sky above Belgorod, showing at least one building on fire.

The Russian Defence Ministry reported 32 drones were shot down over the Bryansk, Oryol, Kursk and Moscow regions overnight. The government did not provide any information on damage or casualties.

On Saturday morning, the governor of the Bryansk region, also adjoining Ukraine, said a child had been killed in strikes on “civilian objects” in two villages. Alexander Bogomaz did not say when the attacks took place.

The Russian military also said it had destroyed a Ukrainian marine drone moving towards the Crimean peninsula.

Reporting by Ron Popeski and Oleksandr Kozhukhar; Additional reporting by Maxim Rodionov; Editing by Leslie Adler, David Gregorio, Sharon Singleton and Kevin Liffey

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *